Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cassandra

For those of you who don't know Greek mythology (or this story anyways, it's about all I know) here is the abridged story of Cassandra.
Apollo gave her a gift of prophecy. However when Cassandra refused to be seduced by him, he cursed her so that no one would believe her.
Everyone thinks she's crazy, however, everything she says ends up true. But, it doesn't matter how many times this happens people still don't believe her.

And this is my life in a nutshell. I say stuff. People don't believe it. And then I'm right (not all the time but most of it). Then, I say something else. It's not believed again. And then I end up right again.
It drives me crazy.

So, yes, that is story of Cassandra (and also a little about me). My sources include my brain and wikipedia, because I didn't know who gave her the curse, just that it happened.
Also from wikipedia:
The Cassandra metaphor is applied by some psychologists to individuals who experience physical and emotional suffering as a result of distressing personal perceptions, and who are disbelieved when they attempt to share the cause of their suffering with others.
 I think someone needs to tell my therapist about that title. Because I believe it fits.
She is portrayed as intelligent, charming, desirable, elegant, friendly, and gentle, but she was considered to be insane.
Obviously all of the characteristics do not fit. She was Helenus's twin. And I do not claim any beauty. The insane part though... can't really deny that.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Did you enjoy this? Subscribe and get these posts delivered to your inbox as soon as they're released.