Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Candy Crush Fever (The 30 Minute Fix)

Hey guys - I'm really sorry it took so long for me to make another post. I started writing this over a week ago but then life happened. I'll probably make a post about it later (once it becomes funny). Also I had an actual assignment for my job, so I've been doing with that too.

It's okay, you can admit it - I know you're addicted.

In a world of constant stimulation we are always looking for something to do. Sadly, the days of "just go outside" has passed. And besides, it's hot outside. I think I will spontaneously combust (that's definitely a word google, get your shit together) if I'm outside for longer than the run to the car. Almost everyone has a smartphone. And who actually calls people on their phone anymore? The main reason for having a phone is to check the time. And time wasting apps of course. Which is where it all began.

I'm cheap. And also broke. I only install the free version of apps (except for Plague Inc. which is the best app of all time). As I'm sure you all know, free apps are riddled with ads. You can hardly play Angry Birds because an ad covers most of the screen.

 For me, it all started with Doodle Jump. Which I just had to play because I remembered it. It had been awhile - I've been playing Candy Crush. And I checked my stats. And I have played that game for well over 24 hours. I haven't hit 48 though, so I think I'm doing pretty well. Anyways. Every time you die in Doodle Jump, they show you an ad. It's basically their way of laughing at you because you suck. Although props to them for not making the ad get in the way of playing the game (Angry Birds). I always ignore them and hit the X. Well apparently I missed the X. And, sadly, hitting the back button while google play is loading is about as futile as clicking the shortcut on your desktop a hundred times.

Once it finally finished loading, I discovered that the app was in my price range. So, why not? What's the worst thing that could happen?

I played it a few times here and there. It was okay. Then my sister got into. Then I started playing more. Then I discovered the 30 minute wait.

Unlike most games, you can't play Candy Crush endlessly. You only have five lives. Each life takes half an hour to get back (sadly, it doesn't go over five).

This was very smart on their part. Because if you can't play something - you want to. And you obsess about it. And you get your friends involved (heh heh... sorry guys). And they get their friends involved. And then everyone's addicted to Candy Crush.
I'm not even allowed to share what some of my friends have done to keep playing this game.

How do you break the cycle?
I have no idea. If you know, please share.
And in the meantime - happy crushing.

Added note: So, what happens when you beat all of the levels? Someone I know said (paraphrased quote) "I realized I have no life about the time I beat every level of Candy Crush with three stars."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Did you enjoy this? Subscribe and get these posts delivered to your inbox as soon as they're released.