Monday, June 23, 2014

Twitter

As you know, or I hope you know, I have recently started a Twitter account. Twitter is one of the strangest and most anxiety provoking social media site. Mostly for the reason that all social media is scary -- people can see stuff that you say. Now you're probably thinking you're a blogger, you WANT people to see the things that you say. Why else would you have a blog? Now that is a very good question. See, as a blogger, I want more readers. I think most bloggers want more readers. We want people to talk about us. We want people to tell their friends about us. We want people to share our blog with everyone they know and everyone else, too. (hint hint) But, at the same time, I do not want more people to read the things that I write, because that's scary. For some reason more readers does not equate to more people reading my posts. What can I say? Anxiety brain is a strange thing. Now that is not to say I don't like my readers. Oh no. I love my readers. Hi guys. But people reading the things I have to say is a scary thought. I'm not going to lie.

Back to Twitter... Twitter is basically "how many people want to see everything I'm thinking." Maybe I don't want people to know what I'm thinking. Maybe I'm not thinking anything. Maybe I'm only thinking boring things. I don't get how people can continually think of interesting things to put on Twitter. I sure can't. Maybe that's why I don't post as much as many other people. Or maybe I just feel like nothing I have to say is important enough. Low self-esteem for the win.

But why is it scary? Famous people have Twitter accounts. Authors, bloggers, and people I look up to have accounts. Sure, following someone isn't all that scary. Especially someone popular. What's one more follower to them? However, Twitter is set up to have conversations.  Maybe it's just me, but I'm terrified to send a Tweet to someone who I admire. I'm afraid to reply to something someone says. Am I afraid of being judged? Nope. Just afraid. I don't know what to say, and I just can't say anything. It's weird. Of course it's even harder in real life. In real life you're not allowed to freeze up. In real life you can't freeze up or cry. But that doesn't make it any less difficult on Twitter. It's hard for me to understand how people can just answer strangers. I have a difficult time talking to people I know, but people I don't know? nearly impossible.

What do you think about Twitter?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Did you enjoy this? Subscribe and get these posts delivered to your inbox as soon as they're released.